Sunday, April 17, 2011

Clydes 10k and Birthday Race Review

Great day for a race (and not just because it was my birthday!)After a tough 20 mile run in a steady rain yesterday today felt like a rebirth of spring - slightly breezy, sunny and warming up to high 50's - it really was perfect racing weather.
I wasn't as sore as I thoughtI might be waking up - but warming up with Melissa I felt a bit heavy legged and that concerned me some. I seldom warm-up for running (kettlebells, yes) but I'm happy I did today as I'm a slow starter on my best days and I was thinking today mighe not be my best. Dr. Randy showed up late and smoothed talked his way into an entrace - they must have known how fast he is. So after the warm up with Melissa it was Randy and I at the start for our slowest mile of the day - 9:36. Clydes is known for being hilly but managable and that proved to be the case -just enough hill for my comfort today and I actually think that it worked to my advantage (nothing compared to Patapsco)although I'm a much better downhill runner on the trails than I am on the road. After the first mile Randy and I hit our stride and began passing runners and dropped down into an 8:00 something pace for the next 4 miles or so - it's around there that Randy got tired of my company (can't blame him) and kicked in in for a 50:(and change) finish. I managed to drop into a 7:40 and sun 7;40 for the lst two miles and crossed the line at a 7:11 pace for a 51.38 finish. Not bad for an old guy on tired legs. My average pace was 8:18. A big thanks to Randy for the push!

I ran in my older Bikilas (that I ran the Baltimore Marathon in) and after countless miles they are holding up nicely. Randy wore his new (straight out of the box) Merrell Trail Gloves - so we were both 'barefootin" it. I spooted one other Vibram runner and one true barefoot runner there as well. Hope they both did well.
The after race was great and a big thank you to Clydes for sponsoring and the Howard Ct. Police for their hard work for our safety.
Beer, saefood, fruit, sandwices, vegatarian dishes, bottled water - Clydes really laid it all out. I'm not much of an after race (ok - or before) partier but I hung with Randy for a beer (his not mine0 and said hi to a few friends and went home to workout and walk my dogs. So it was a great day and fun race - BUT the true highlight -
was seeing Judith and meeting Ron!
We missed each other when we both ran Seneca but got a chance to say hi today. Great seeing you Judith and nice to meet Ron!
Also a big thanks to Melissa who has always believed I had some kind of speed hidden away somewhere. Thanks for the warm-up!

Another one in the books and the Triple Crown Marathon two weeks a way.

(Also please ote that I resited the urge to pull my sleeves up and flex - even though my guns were bangin' today)

Thanks for reading!
Eric

No comments: