Sunday, July 31, 2011

Race Review - Catoctin 50k

It seems Race Director Kevin Sayers makes few promises for Catoctin 50k - tough, brutal and hot are about all you can expect - oh and oddly enough - a good time. And that pretty much sums up the day. So to srart the race review off I want to thank Kevin for going all out in making this tough, brutal, hot day a good time!
It actually wasn't as hot as I thought it might be -or maybe the string of 100 degree plus days had me nicely condition to handle a 95 degree day. Either way they heat was less of a factor than I had feared, although with a race like Cat it certainly was a factor. The forecast had also promised Thunderstaorms leading into the race and this never came to pass as well - very fortunate!
With my friend Matt running with my wife this year I decided to run this race a littel harder, a little faster this year. My secrect plan was I just wanted to be finished and suffer less. Any one who stays on there feet for 9+ hours is an ultra stud(ette) in my book! It's a tough way to spend the day, especially on this course. So my goal was a sub 8:00 and I felt my traiing would reflect well on this effort. My top training week was 70+ miles and with several weeks of double runs thrown in hard kettlebell and bodyweight training. I did a bit less trail work this time around and a little more on the run to focus on speed - I was a little worried about this but figured the 1-2 times a week on the trails plus a few years of near constant trail running would see me through - it was an educated gamble. Matt and Moca looked a bit nervous but I knew they had a strong effort in the. Moca has been nursing a near chronic IT band related issue but has recently been recieving massage therapy (week before race)and we felt this would make a difference and it should even more so in future races.
I started relatively conservative going in-bound (Cat is an out and back course) and soon began to pick up my pace going up the hills (it seems Cat is either going up or going down) and ran many of the hills that common sense told me to walk. I had my fueling and hydration on target so I thought again that it was a gamble I could afford and worse case scenerio I would slog it in for the finsh on dead quads. It sort of happend that way but for different reason that I'll soon get in to. This is a really beautiful trail that carries a runner along nicely - feeling so strong and giving way to the pull of the trail (not to mention fellwo runners and really great aid stations and crews) I was soon at the half-way turn around feeling as (almost) good as I started. Going down the long hill I ran into (not literally) my good friend Melissa and we ran into the turn around together and back up for the long climb. She was hurting with a foot issue from way before this race and was toughing it out like a trooper. She had a great but tough finish too and has all of my respect! On the long climb I soon left Melissa and continued on my own. I was thinking of lw 7:00s at this point and was pretty happy about this - I belive my best mile was 9:47 or so. For me, on this race, that's pretty fast(for the winners - not so much)and doing so on tred legs filled me with even more confidence. On a side note I truely believe two factors made a hugh difference - double runs, training me to run and run fast9er) on tired legs and my diet - which is high raw Vegan. Most of my fueling was fruit during the race and fruit makes up a large (majority) of my daily diet. The enegrgy and recovery this diet gives you really can't be described, only expereinced. I proudly wore my No Meat Athlete tech shirt through the race and was surprised at all the great comments people made and the the No Meat Guy cheers I was recieved!
Okay, it was at this point something had to go wrong and it did. Running with another racer who told me he was local and new the trail well gave me another surge as he was a bit faster than me but not so much that I would lose sight of him and I figured it would keep me on track. Getting lost on Cat (or any ultra)is a constant fear. The trail is well marked but there are several turn-offs that can easily be missed. With a little common sense though you can usually turn this aroun pretty quickly. So much for common sense though - the local runner assured (us both it now seems) that this was the way and that's the way we went. Except I didn't see any blue blazes - on both end of the trail as I was beginning to look back and wonder why no other runners were around - I'm not THAT fast. I gave thr tail a mile (too much time) and then turned around but soon found myself worrying abouty the local runner so I ran after him yelling to turn around. I guess he though this was part of my race stragedy and he wasn't going to fall for it and kept going - even faster. He may still be runnng. So this took my another mile (a bit less) and I turned around and really pounded out the downhill. I was mad at myself and new my sub 8:00 was as good as gone especially with some tough up hills comiing up. And I was near out of water with no more aid stations. Dumb mistake on my part but part of the u;tra game so I begin to plan on salvaging my race with a lot of fun and the best effort I could - it worked and the attitude that everything is always okay (even when it isn't) can get you through some tough, hard times.
I soon ran into some freinds that were surpised to see me coming from behind as I had passed them earlier. Howver nearly (if not all) those who have run Cat know all too well the off race trail excursions and all had encourging words (thanks Judith!) I also ran tinto Melissa again and ran with her for a bit - she really is one tough runner. At this point there was only three hard climbs left and I knew I had the cut-off but a bit and was happy with my effort. I climbed steady but no longer pushed those uphills, saving my quads for the the downs. Hitting the pavement to head back to the Tea Room I though my race was done - how could I forget the short but brutal climb to the finish? I don't know but I did and I plan on forgetting it again as soon I'm able! Worst climb of the day! Absolutely miserable! Ughhhh! But I did it. And the race was done at 8:43 for me. Not my desired goal but I'm very happy with it - I ran a strong, fast race and left it all on the course - if not for a mistake I would have met the goal and more (at mile 32 my Garmin said 7:17) and mistakes really only add to the adventure of the run. They happen, no sweat (ok - poor choice of words. There was lots of sweat.)
Judith soon brought it in (congratulations) and Melissa not long after. Great effort you guys and a fantastic race!
Moca and Matt were at the finish line to cheer me in. I saw them at the turn around and they were running strong but even more impressive - they were running happy. That attitde makes a great difference in a long race. Unfortunetly they had to drop at the turn around due to the cut off - but not by much and now that Moca has her IT issues addressed and Matt has some Cat expereince next year is there year. That's a promise.
I had planned on a beer to celebrate - first one in 12 years. But with the lack of water for the last 8+ miles I was pretty dehydrated so it wil have to wait until the Stone Mill 50 miler race in November. It will give me something to train for!
A big thank you to Kevin Sayer for a first class race and all those volunteers who faced the heat and gave their support. You guy make all the difference and I appreciate the "No Meat Guy" cheers!
This is not an easy ultra, for anyone, beginners to veterns alike. And it doesn't get easier with return visit as a view of finishing times year by year shows. However I do have plans for a faster Cat next year and half the fun is in the training and the other half in the effort. As can be seen from previous post I started thinking about this race the minute after dropping half-way last year. It was that important to me and it will be again next year. I hope to see some of you guys out there next time!
Thanks for reading,
Eric

No comments: