Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hope for the Homeless 5k Trail Race Review

What a great little race for a really good cause - Hope For The Homeless 5k. The money raised goes directly to the Howard County shelter.
The course was held at Rockburn Park and it was about eighty percent single track - it really ran like a cross country meet which made fun, challenging and very pretty. I wanted to do a 5k as speed work for the upcoming races and because it was so close, on the trails and to help support a charity. It's been awhile since I have run at an 8:00 something pace on the trails and it felt good - even on tired legs as I'm not fully recovered from last weeks trail marathon and some faster runs during the week - not to mention the rest of my workouts.
I really want to thank the Mid-Maryland Baptist Association for putting on a first class event and all the people who showed up to help, support and to run - there was a good size crowd with some serious runners out there. I was lucky enough to take third in my age group (it pays to get old(er)- I wasn't expecting this and Matt and Moca and I ran a second loop of the course to get some additional miles in and Matt sort of joked about me winning something - and sure enough - Moca checked and I did.

Happy surprise!

Now it's on to the Maryland Half Marathon and The North Face Endurance Challenge 50k.
Stay tuned my friends!

No comments: