Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Walk Breaks

It seems many runners are dead set against walk breaks as introduced by Jeff Galloway. Galloway feels that walks breaks taken early and often can keep the legs fresh for longer, aid recovery and reduce or eliminate injury. Sounds like a good deal. Yet some runners feel that if you walk during a run than you're not really a "runner" Which is fine by me - some races I take walk breaks and some I don't - yet I always feel like a runner and usually feel pretty good at the end of my races and runs. I can't ask for much more than that - especially considering that early on in my distance running I felt fairly broken down - especially during (and after) my long runs. Walk breaks fixed that almost instantly and I also began to race faster and faster. Not being particularly blessed with speed this was a happy surprise and one that is still occurring to this day. I really urge runners to check out Jeff Galloway's books and website http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html
Put some of the preconceived notions of what a runner is and does and explore some options. The results just might surprise you.

Peace,
Eric

No comments: