Monday, August 26, 2013

My Vegan Journey (A Story of Protein)

I became a vegan for ethical reasons. My beginning in sports was from a bodybuilding interest. as a kid I was active but never stood out in any sport - n fact due to poor hand/eye coordination team sports were quite difficult for me. Things changed though when I discovered bodybuilding - suddenly I was bigger and stronger and when did manage to hit the ball it flew! Bodybuilding and all types of weightlifting were my love for many decades to follow.
Of course the Golden Rule of bodybuilding nutrition is protein, protein, protein (and more protein) and I followed that rule through my 20's, 30's and early 40's. By my mid 20's however I also discovered meditation and with a sense of growing compassion by meat consumption tapered through the years until I eventually found myself a vegetarian - still, fish, eggs and dairy - but I drew the line at eating meat. Little did I know then that the above foods were still health damaging and just as cruel in their production. And I still consumed protein in great quantities - shakes, bars and all kinds of sports nutrition concoctions. For those who may not  know the Worlds Health Organization has stated that our total need for protein is around 5% of our total daily calorie consumption - for an average size man, fairly active that may come to be around 58 grams (for a 165lbs man) I was consuming in excess of 200 grams a day. Even in my early 40's when I had shed a large amount of bulk and developed an interest in endurance sports I kept my protein intake high - and this showed in a routine physical when my Doctor told me I had high cholesterol - any higher or if I were a bit older and she said she would recommend medication. She wished to wait a few years and then put me on medication. All the while my cholesterol ( and the host of medical issues that surround high cholesterol) would only increase - this seemed wrong on many levels to me. It still does and I believe it's a symptom of the medical industry and their relationship with the large pharmaceutical companies.
I decided to change. All the while my meditation practice deepened my compassion until I came to the point where I just knew that I could no longer participate in the cycle of cruelty that is modern farming. This also coincided with my new love for ultrarunning - running at all distance from marathon to 50 miles and beyond (the dream being the 100 mile distance - I'm working on it)
Change came surprisingly easy - there is so much information at our fingertips - from the Internet to great books such as the China Study and films like Forks Over Knives - I chose a great time to turn vegan!
The hardest thing to eliminate also had the highest impact on my running performance. Dairy. Within days of being dairy free my running improved and not just noticeably but drastically. It was as a weight were taken from my chest (that I didn't even realize was there) One of the great things about running is the measurable success that can be witnessed. Getting faster and going farther are quantifiable. My 20+ mile training runs were easier, I breathed better and best of all - my race times were (and are several years later) dropping. Every race became exciting as I just knew another PR (personal record) would fall. They still are - at age 48 I am faster than ever and run further every year. This year alone I have raced 5k through 100k (over 20 races for this year alone)
Is all this contributed solely to diet? Yes and no. My diet allows me to train harder and longer and recover faster then previously when I consumed what I thought of as a sports orientated diet. My health is greatly improved (no cholesterol issues by the way) and with the better health I have more time to train. Even better - I'm happier. I am no longer participating in a dietary practice that brings unnecessary cruelty to other beings. I'm convinced that a happier runner is a faster runner - or at least a better runner. And really at this point in my life being a happy runner is enough.
So what does my diet look like?
Fruit. Lots of it. Vegetables. Lots of them. A few grains. Potatoes, legumes, lentils. I eat tofu - but not a lot. I indulge in some of the vegan "meats" and "cheese" from time to time - not too often though. The fruits, vegetables and the rest keep me pretty full - and pretty fueled too. As for protein - I have no idea how much I take in each day. I no longer count. As long as my calories support my energy needs I know that I will also get enough protein to repair and recover.
So at age 48 I find myself an athlete. I'm fit and able to run long distances and still lift weights (kettlbells for the win!) and I'm fairly competitive not just at my age group but at the longer distances with the younger crowds as well. I don't see this changing anytime soon. Nor will my diet - as I mentioned - I'm a happy runner.

Eric McCarty

No comments: