Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Sthira Sukham Asana


Sthira Sukham Asana: 

with Sanskrit I find the most common translation and accepted meaning quiet readily, especially in the many popular books and sacred texts that have been brought to the English language so often through the years. What's fun for me, while also providing a much deeper understanding of the words, is to search a bit more for the literal meaning, or perhaps even a favorite translation from certain commentaries that I admire. A current example are The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, with many translations offered, some being classic now, having stood the test of time by use of students and examination of scholars. For now I won't list favorites, but I will give the particular sutra as well as the literal translation that has captured my imagination - Sthira Sukham Asana, Sutra 2:46, which offers the usual meaning as Asana is a steady, comfortable posture. Quite easy to understand. Yet what Patanjali is teaching here isn't the yoga of modern terms, it;s far deeper than simply stretching and holding a posture. 

he's offering us a state of mind to explore. 

something found through the steadiness of our bodies. 

if only only briefly. 

I love this sutra, it's my first and only mantra upon approaching every posture, holding fast to the more literal translation - which is to resolutely abide in a good space.  Broken down further in meaning, bringing just three words to my attention, and Patanjali has this to offer...

steadiness, sweetness, posture. 

sthira sukha asana.

and that's the true teaching of yoga, that every moment holds a sweetness of space no matter what's currently found. It simply comes down to our approach, having a willingness to hold steady and explore whats's present right now, being unafraid of falling from life's posture. I;m beginning to find the sweetness of even the shakiest asanas, a glimpse, momentary poise, and then quickly falling from this grace. But I know it's there, always, throughout what every life offers. 

sthira sukha asana. 

through approaching life with just a hint of steadiness...

there's sweetness found. 

~

Peace, Eric 

No comments: