Monday, September 4, 2023

Somehow Transformed


Somehow transformed: 

yoga is a means of transformation, or so it has been for me. Oddly though, I'm more myself now than ever before, comfortable in my skin, at ease with who I truly am. Somehow transformed with little effort given to the process. It just seemed to happen on its own. This is why I often say that yoga isn't the best path for seekers or those wishing for a means of self improvement - really, it doesn't seem to be a path at all, with no destination point to be measured from the initial starting pose. It's a journey that takes place only through the landscape of breath and mind, whatever asana that's presently holding my attention. There's no real travel outside of this awareness. 

it's always exactly where I am. 

and so the transformation happens without my interference, it's the art of just the right amount of effort given to a pose and then an immediate surrender to the grace of breath and mindful attention. Sometimes, there's a gift of poise, a moment where the pose is held beyond the point of gravity's pull, balancing, pure, and even its release seems to be a gentle call for my return to the ground of pure existence. It's magical, a gift from mystery. Yet most often, it feels there's little grace involved, gravity being weighed against me and causing my sense of struggle. 

there's a balance here as well. 

that's how I'm transformed, simply by accepting each moment and asana as it's offered. Even the struggle through this acceptance is part of my transformation. Everything belongs.  In a more true sense, it might be better to say that I'm not so much transformed as I am revealed, that each asana shows me the reality of breath and mind, continuously drawing my attention to the exact moment that I hold the pose. 

every asana reveals just a bit more of reality.

and through gently. continuously returning to this seeing..

I'm somehow transformed. 

~

Peace, Eric 



No comments: