Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Dukha


dukha, a Sanskrit word that is generally translated as suffering, most commonly thought of in Buddhist terms of the Four Noble Truths, that life is suffering due to its nature of impermanence and our desire to cling to that which is ever changing. A more accurate translation would be of dissatisfaction, life being transitory, never quite being how we would like it, or at least not for very long. Both Buddhism and yoga offer a path for us to escape the notion of dukha, to see the truth of impermanence and no longer seek a lasting hold on the things of the world. 

it's a clear way of seeing. 

and what we see is that life itself isn't suffering, nor is it even unsatisfactory - it's simply an ongoing affair of infinite possibilities, always in motion, changing through each moment. It's only our minds that have a wish to either stop this flow so we can cherish something longer, or to rush life's currents to a more pleasurable place for us to reside. But we never have this control, it's not within our powers to command how life will go, what it gives to us, or how long anything might stay. 

life isn't dukha, 

it's just changing. 

what I love about yoga is that it presents me with a micro perspective of life - that holding an asana for any length of time will reveal a complete cycle of spiritual awakening, from dukha, being dissatisfied with a pose and my current experience, all the way to its apparent opposite, suhkha, the sweetness and ease that the posture eventually reveals to me. Most clearly so in halasana, plow pose, and the challenge of accepting my current limits, just shy of feet reaching the floor behind me, inching closer, yet still far from it's completion. I'm finding myself frustrated with where I am with this posture, striving, never quite satisfied with my experience. 

dukha. 

but the wonderful thing is that this asana is also my awakening, my eight-fold path in a single pose. Too much effort here only pushes me farther from my goal. Not challenging myself keeps me from its completion. There's a sweet spot, a challenge and the acceptance of my current limits, striving and at the very same time completely letting go of my notion for this pose. I perform it within my present capabilities, content with the wisdom of my body and what it reveals to me right now. 

suhkha,

the sweetness of accepting...

whatever it is this moment holds.

~

Peace, Eric 

No comments: