Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Entirety of Yoga


Entirety of yoga: 

it might be odd that I am taking a yoga teacher course and yet I have no desire to ever instruct a class, no wish to have a studio full of students rapt in attention for anything I might show. I don't want to be that kind of teach, although I have much respect for those was do this so skillfully. I find myself wanting to be a more quiet type of teacher, discussing the entirety of yoga, the simplicity of its message. The asanas are an important aspect, a means to a joyful, healthy body, as well as opening up channels to a larger energy at hand. They are invaluable to the complete picture. 

yet they are not the entirety of yoga. 

 sometimes I think they could be though, maybe with one particular pose that has captured our attention, opening the whole body in an energetic fashion, and we find ourselves lost in an untold devotion, completely absorbed in the practice of this one pose.

that would be the entirety of yoga. 

what I would like to teach is the possibility that this is so, that any one pose holds the promise of a complete practice. The lesson is really ours alone and can't be taught by anyone, only pointed towards with a single pose, or a flow of asanas that bring us the the brink of surrender and one more soft breath taken would become our final letting go. 

mostly I want people to have their own practice, perhaps a routine for morning, body awakening to rising sun, and with a deep knowing that we will be cared for through the rest of day, that this moment carries onward through the peace that's now been created. 

really though, what I wish to teach can't t be taught, not truly so, but only pointed towards through our practice of asanas, breathwork, and meditation. We are opening ourselves to the potentiality of what each pose offers us, their promise of awakening, and touching an infinite point of light and energy. The practice is our alone, every asana is our teacher. 

and that's the entirety of yoga. 

~

Peace, Eric 

No comments: