Friday, December 27, 2013

Training Note - Return to Basics

It's a return to basics for me right now - Get ups, Swings, and running. The focus is on whole body strength and prepping for an awesome ultra season in 2014. Basic, heavy lifts done explosively along with some light gym moves for fun and (yes) appearance. With lower overall mileage in my training (for now) I hope that this focus will give me a sustainability and resiliency to stay strong throughout a long race (100 miles) and keep me injury free. It seems often we (me) tend to go over board with cross training for no logical purpose. A stronger runner is indeed a better runner but it has to be applied, useable strength and not vanity strength. A big bench won't get you far in an ultra. I do want a high level of both yet my focus is running - so the goal is to be a strong runner not a strength athlete who runs. It's worth reminding myself of this from time to time. I think this program can help me be a very strong runner - and a very strong person (again). I'm willing to try. For the record this program is laid out and explained by Pavel in his new book  - http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/dp/B00GF2HP9G

It is definitely worth reading for any athlete looking to improve.

Peace,
Eric

No comments: