Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Kenosis


Kenosis: 

the mantra is always my surrender, each return to thinking it's subtle sound empties me a little more of every previous conceptions of my role in meditation. It's the mantra that does the work here, acting as a form of kenosis, my own small will let go so that something entirely more powerful plays through. As I continuously come back to the mantra, no matter how many times my thoughts might lead me astray, a great silence eventually prevails...

and that is my surrender.

I love the term kenosis, being from the contemplative tradition of Christianity, but universal in its meaning. The word implies a prayerful plea of emptying ourselves of control by ego and to be filled by God's divine will, our actions now guided by a touch of grace that steers us through life's hardships. My meditation is a natural kenosis, with the mantra being a vibrational prayer that leads me ever deeper to my one self-surrender, an already present field of grace and silence. The great truth of kenosis is that I'm already empty of any sense of a permanent self, only my beliefs in its reality linger slightly, a return to ego-form that plays a certain role in my everyday life. 

my mantra carries me past this role.

a kenosis of revealing myself as capacity for life to play through.

it's a self answering prayer,

already granted.

 even as I think my mantra.

~

Peace, Eric 


No comments: