Monday, August 27, 2012

Survival

Today while running with a friend we were witness to a bloody scene - a hawk in mid capture of a small rabbit. The hawk flew away while we approached but didn't go far. The rabbit was still alive but was pretty far gone. We watched the hawk as we passed by - a beautiful creature. I said a small prayer for the rabbit and we left quickly hoping the hawk would return and end the rabbits sufferings. I briefly thought of ending the rabbits suffering myself but honestly didn't  know if I was capable with my bare hands and the hawk was pretty watchful - I definitely didn't want to tangle with him.
 My friend commented to me that blew a hole in my vegan theory (it's not a theory) - her line of reasoning is that nature is brutal and there is predator and there is prey. I won't argue this. I don't argue with hunters who hunt to solely to feed their family. I won't do it. I don't have to do it. So no reason for me to do so. Yes, nature is brutal. I felt for that poor rabbit and wished I could have helped her - yet I'm happy the hawk would eat and feed it's family. That's the duality of nature and there's a certain fierce grace at play here. I watch it unfold and I feel for each creature. The hawk soared high above searching for this rabbit that would become it's meal - there was hunger and need behind its motive. The rabbit fled, did it's best to hide and then fight. It certainly would not be able to over power such a large bird. Yet it fought for its life that it held precious. Perhaps at another time it would have out run the hawk, or hidden better - the hawk would fly away hungry - in search again for another meal. That's nature and that's the grace of chance. One died in ordered for another it live.
Nothing has to die - nothing has to die in a brutal fashion - for me to live. If I needed meat I could hunt and I would hunt. I'm just fine without it. To equate the scene of survival witnessed this morning with the suffering of animals trapped within the horrors of a factory farm is misguided at best and disingenuous as well. Spend an hour watching where your food comes from (hint - it's not the supermarket) and tell me otherwise.

Peace,
Eric

No comments: