Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hung -Sau

One of the very first meditation techniques I learned many years ago was Hung-Sau Mantra meditation. I first read of this in Paramahansa Yogananda" Autobiography Of A Yogi. This book had a profound impact on my spiritual life that carries forward to this day. The meditation is a beautiful blend of breath, mantra and concentration on the 6th chakra - the spiritual eye. It teaches at one both detachment and devotion. It stills the mind to allow direction communication with God through the stillness of our thoughts. As Herman Melville states in Mobey Dick -" Silence is the only true voice of God" Lately I have felt called to renew my relationship with the Hung-Sau Mantra and the works of Paramahansa Yogananda again. The meditation technique offers real world benefits of calmness of mind, sharpened concentration and intuition. Right now it feels like coming home. I am always a little reluctant to switch methods of meditation as often it is a trick of the ego calling for something new to provide another distraction from the task at hand - namely limiting the sirens call of a ego driven life. Yet right now it feels more the call of spirit to listen just a little more deeply than perhaps I have been. It's time to listen, it's time to breathe and it's time to be.

Peace,
Eric

No comments: