Saturday, October 7, 2023

Pause


there's a sense of mystery to the page, and some fear as well. Each morning I arrive at my desk with hope that words will reach me here and I've seldom been disappointed. Yet there is always a bit of apprehension, especially on morning such as now, no clear theme taking shape, a sentence written and then followed by a long pause into silence.  Through the years though, after much practice, I've come to surrender to the pause, knowing that this is the very spaciousness from which words emerge and that my wait will always be fruitful. 

writing is a game of patience. 

all art is.

it's a gift to be inspired, to rush to the page and have words fill it with hardly a pause. I love those rare writing sessions, but equally so, I've come to appreciate the stretch of silence that holds no words. Those are a gift as well, moments that allow me a brief reflection and inward turn, an opportunity for a deeper expression to find me. My writing gathers more meaning through those long pauses, something greater, almost holy in its feel, always seems to emerge. 

and if not,

I simply sit in silence. 

sipping coffee, content with just a few words given.

sometimes...

that's how writing happens. 

~

Peace, Eric 

No comments: