Monday, July 10, 2023

Zen Lessons From a Red Winged Blackbird


Zen lessons from a Red winged blackbird; 

yesterday morning, sunrise walk and my usual routine of receiving earliest light and the many benefits that it offers, physical, emotional, and spiritual. This is one of my favorite parts of the day, regardless of weather, or time of the year, 30 minutes of walking and an entire world opens up to me, life presents itself through so many beautiful and extraordinary ways right outside my door. On this particular morning, a Red winged blackbird disputed his territory with me, letting me know in no uncertain terms that I should hurry on my way and stay clear of that section of the path. After swooping down and providing a light knock against my head, there was little need to argue the point. 

the Red winged blackbird was concerned about his nest. 

and I was only passing through. 

happy to concede that section of the path to him.

it's amazing that such a small, beautiful bird would be so fearless, warning me to stay clear and giving no regard to the difference of our size. Several days ago I watched one harass a deer that was feeding too close to his nest and chase her across a field and into the nearby woods. The bird had a clear aerial advantage, mobile in flight, and the deer never stood a chance in her confusion. To flee was simple the only option. I've also seen hawks chased away, fierce birds themselves and yet they chose the best option of leaving this territory to the blackbird. 

after my encounter yesterday morning, I could hardly blame the hawk. 

Red winged blackbirds are fierce too in their protection. 

my thought here is that no attack is personal, it's simply nature in protection of its home, or showing aggression against a perceived threat. There was a message for me, a clear sign for me to be mindful, attentive and not completely lost within my thoughts. The signs were present, with the blackbird offering me early warning of his call and circled flight above his home. It's nesting time, mid summer, and I know that they're protective of they're mate and just laid eggs this time of year. But my attention was elsewhere at the time and I can't even remember what thoughts I might have had that seemed so important at the time, only that I wasn't mindful to the warnings that were kindly provided, and that simply being present would have saved me from attack. 

clearly I was in the presence of a master.

of the highest order, really.

 receiving zen lessons from a Red winged blackbird

and I am grateful for the lesson.

~

Peace, Eric 





No comments: