Saturday, July 22, 2023

Of Wetlands


Of wetlands: 

my neighborhood has many small areas of wetlands, remnants of a wilder age, barely noticeable now until a steady rain restores them, however slightly, to their proper hold of earth. This may be a patch of land reclaimed for a moment only, as if waiting for the right conditions to assert the deep wildness of its nature - or in some areas it's a true marsh, small, yes, but a wilderness just the same. 

regardless of development,

it seems that earth will always retain the wild edge of its nature. 

waiting for the right moment to return.

I've a long love of wetlands, however they might be defined by purpose and location. As a child I was fascinated by how quickly these areas would reassert themselves to their rightful land. Of course they were always present, gaining my attention through what seemed a sudden appearance. But really, wetlands abide through whatever happens to them, not a return, simply a small reclaim of their rightful hold of earth, even if only briefly before another point of change comes through. 

in some areas, fortunately, they retain their wild edge. 

however slightly. 

the realization here is that I'm never far from my own true nature, an essence of wilderness felt deeply as my soul, an inner landscape always ready to be reclaimed in just a moment's recognition. This is my love of wetlands, from smallest patch found throughout my neighborhood, to the vast expanse of swamps and tidal shores, how vital they are for earth's benefit, an ecological system of such unique mixture and profound beauty. They're a wilderness of my own reflection, that I hold a wild edge too, however slightly it may seem. 

~

Peace, Eric 

No comments: