Sunday, May 15, 2022

Words Appear


Words appear: 

I'm not sure there's really such a thing as writers block, although there have certainly been moments in the past where words have seemed unable to find me and I've felt a creative rift from where I'd like to be. It's been a fairly long time since this has occurred though, and mostly I can attribute this to the practice of daily writing, meditation, and perhaps the single largest factor is the abandonment of my claim to being an author. Of course writing happens, words appear, and later I may even credit myself for their arrangement. Yet none of this was ever my cause, and at no point was I the creative influence that made any of this happen. In truth, I'm just an appearance too within the process, integral, but not the sole source of inspiration. 

words appear.

and it all happens completely on its own.

 that's what sets me free, knowing that I'm not responsible for the presence, nor absence of words, that creativity is a process that includes me, independent of my demands and schedule. I am simply part of the whole design, inspired only because of my belonging to the very source of inspiration. It's impossible to be blocked from being what we truly are - and so with this there comes a great relaxing, no longer having to believe myself in charge, writing happens, words appear, and I enjoy my sense of being part of the entire process...

an appearance too, it seems.

the old Zen saying is that when the student is ready the teacher will appear, and really, it's far deeper than this - that when words are ready an author will appear, briefly fulfilling the needs of arranging words in their creative order, and that it's all a spontaneous appearance of inspiration. Citing Zen again and we could call this satori, sudden enlightenment, but truly it's all sudden and spontaneous, author and words appearing at once without a prior sense of plan, everything happening without real cause or even effect, simply inspiration occurring on its own.

words appear.

writing happens.

somewhere in this...I find that I belong.

~

Peace, Eric 

No comments: