Thursday, July 25, 2024

A Holy Instant



A holy instant: 

it's seldom that I revisit my drinking days, maybe a stray thought that briefly returns me to the years I spent in self-destruction. But mostly I'm just happy being here, alive, sober, and no longer with a wish to destroy myself through an alcoholic daze. 

yet sometimes, I consider how it came to happen.

awakening to sobriety.

indeed, that it was a holy instant when I stepped into a new life.

as if it was already present, simply waiting for me.

a single step was all that was asked for.

and that's truly the only way I can explain it, after a decade of heavy drinking an insight was imparted, a deep sense of knowing that this particular lifestyle was over - but only if I stepped towards a new direction that was being offered. Even slightly. I have no idea why I did it, taking that first hesitant step into another life that instantly transformed me.

but I did.

thankfully.

A Course in Miracles says that right now, each moment, is a holy instant. We can let go of all that binds us to any past event or live choice and instantly realize another life that's offered. Again, I don't know why I saw this so clearly, especially considering that I was far from sober at the time. A moment of grace is really all I can say about it, that, and of course adding that I'm eternally grateful that it occurred. 

maybe there's just no explanation that's needed it, 

grace after all, always comes unbidden. 

~

Peace, Eric 

To read more from Headless Now, please visit: To Be Gentle

Also, please visit to buy: The Course in Miracles Experiment

Thank you. 



No comments: