Friday, July 29, 2022

Being Receptive


Being receptive: 

it's my time for words, that's just how it works, somehow words appear and writing happens, inspired so it seems. Really it's a mystery, not one of talent or discipline, although they do play a  vital role for the continuation of this gift. But mostly it's about being receptive, a willingness to abide for a certain length of time in silence, listening, not being in a rush for words and trusting they will come. Always in their own time. That's key, this isn't my agenda here, my demands mean little to the sway of inspiration, and often seem to cause an even longer point of absence to any words appearing.

my role is to wait, trust, listen...

being receptive.

and it's through this that writing happens, a natural process that took years for me to realize and even longer still to put into practice and begin to understand. As a younger writer I knew little of being receptive, more prone to petition inspiration with an argument of time and necessity of words being given to me now, always at my demand, and with little concern for the role that silence plays here. Often this appeared to work, at least in a creative burst of sudden inspiration, and then always followed by a longer space devoid of any words. This would always cause me to doubt my gift for writing, never quite realizing that this isn't really my gift at all, but simply grace, freely and expansively given, yet never mine to order its appearance. Through time, and by silence, I learned to wait for words, learning the art of being receptive, open, and allowing words to be gifted on their own. 

an inspired lesson learned.

a lesson that I'm still learning, practicing its application, as so often I find myself in a rush for words, reaching, not fully trusting in the grace of inspiration. My beliefs still cause me some doubt in the role of patience, of being receptive, and I lose this subtle connection between soul and words, how they're linked by faith alone, and only realized through an inspired length of silence. That's the true gift really, not words and not what appears to be any talent for writing, but the gift of silence itself, to gain an appreciation for the potentiality of its spacious hold, infinite in its capacity for providing inspiration. Being receptive isn't about waiting for words to arrive, it's simply faith displayed through patience and understanding, thankful for the vital role that silence plays. The true gift is of being receptive,  of being open, realizing that we are capacity itself - and through this allowing space all of life appears...

inspired. 

~

Peace, Eric 

No comments: