Monday, July 29, 2013

CAT Notes -2013

A few notes about CAT 2013 - my training was off as far as specifics I feel - after most of winter and spring training for a flat course 100 and then trying to play catch up for a (very) hilly Mohican 100 I felt flat with little leg drive and no sustaining power going up the hills. I neglected deadlifts and lower body explosive moments as it always seemed that I was getting ready for another race and these have always served me well in the past few years of ultra training. So this will be corrected. Starting now.
My new AK Signature Series vest for Ultimate Direction worked great - it's an awesome race vest/hydration system! Check it out  below.


Another excellent product that I used with great success was Tailwind Nutrition - this is an all in one performance drink - calories, salt and hydration. I took nothing else on the entire race except a small glad of soda for the caffeine. I still need to find the proper balance (serving) to cover my caloric needs without making me a bit more thirsty then I wish to feel. They have excellent customer service and will work with the athlete to find the perfect balance.
Check them out too -

http://www.tailwindnutrition.com/

And lastly I upgraded shoes - a bit more heft than I'm used to but still in the minimalist set - Brooks Pure Grit 2 proved an excellent match for the rough terrain of the CAT trail - still light but with a bit more rubber underneath for protection. My feet felt great!

And that's it - look for a sub 8:00 next year!

Peace,
Eric

No comments: