Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Of Meditation


Of meditation: 

the question was of meditation, if it was a viable means of awakening, does the practice itself lead to liberation and freedom? Fortunately it wasn't directed to me and I wasn't part of any such discussion. It's fair to ask, but really, it's impossible to answer. The question was from a podcast on spiritual matters and it turned rather lively on this point, not of meditation alone, but of practices in general as a means for awakening. 

do we need to practice what is already present? 

and of course the answer is no, we don't need to do anything and most especially meditation. I love the term awakening as it pertains to me of dawn and the ease to which we open our eyes and allow the morning light to simply be, finding us exactly where we are without effort of our reach. Everything is easy, natural, and spontaneous. What's to practice here? 

yet for me, meditation is a beautiful part of this, not a practice to attain anything at, not a method of achievement. It's a settling of thoughts and breath into the ease of stillness, an expression of the divine no less so than any other activity but one set aside for the singular act of its devotion. Meditation slows me to an easier pace of observation, and deeper still comes the recognition of the world allowed exactly as it is, right now, without need of change or being fixed. Yes, this all takes place without the aid of meditation, but for many this the first glimpse that such a thing as this exist. 

meditation is my reverse dawn, to close my eyes and find true light, awakening to the present moment in whatever's found. With eyes closed, nothing is avoided, no distractions, just a pause to accept it all exactly as it is, and with this I remember that it's always so, eyes open, and continue with my day. Meditation brings me joy by process of its practice, not an end result at all, as this joy is always present. 

it's not about awakening at all.

nor is it apart from it.

it's simply what I do...

joyfully.

~

Peace, Eric 

No comments: