Darkness and light:
there's just a few days of summer left, tomorrow the temperature drop to a stretch autumn weather, rainy and cool. Once there was a time when my mood would plummet with the warmth, growing even darker as sunlit days became shorter. This wasn't seasonal depression, it was low lying and ever present - but leading into the long stretch of winter would often make it worse.
I choose the joy of God instead of pain. (ACIM, W-190)
the above isn't offered as a cure for depression, it's a means of navigating through darkness that wasn't available to me before. I try to be very careful with this, any discussion on mental health needs to be approached with infinite tenderness and care. I haven't and don't bypass depression. But I'm aware of my own shifting inner vocabulary. I see the first hint of darkness approaching and turn to God, not in despair and a request to hide me from the storm -
it's much softer than that.
I turn to a friend.
so the dark days still find me, not quite as often as before it seems. And my plan is simple. I give each moment that I can't handle to God, a prayerful conversation through the Holy Spirit, and again I'm not asking for a cure - God doesn't recognize the dark thoughts I bring to Him.
He offers only light.
and even though a storm might still be present....
I see it.
and it always leads me home.
~
I love you - all the way through the storm, Eric
To read more from Headless Now, please visit: Coc-Create
Also, please visit: Inspiration
Thank you

No comments:
Post a Comment