Monday, May 20, 2024

Discomfort



Discomfort: 

it's very often my least favorite pose that garners my attention and commitment, perhaps with an innate awareness that through this discomfort there is something valuable for me to experience. Sometimes the very asana that holds the most challenge soon becomes a favorite of mine. This isn't limited to a physical challenge, in fact, I'd much rather push through the limits of my body then deal with some of the emotional blocks that can keep me from experiencing a sense of comfort within a pose - with child's pose being one of the most recent examples. Of course these aren't two separate issues, it's the body, as I'm holding a certain posture, that triggers an emotional response,

and it's through the same asana that allows for me to heal. 

utkatasana, chair pose, is an asana that offers both a physical challenge as well as working through some deep emotions that have surfaced as I hold this posture. It's important to me here to not rush the breath, a careful mindfulness that allows my breathing to settle on it's own, relaxing into the posture with a sure and steady commit to explore what ever the moment now offers - even if it's physical discomfort, a rising sense of fear, or as most often in utkatasana, both confronting me at once for the length of five to ten breaths as I hold the pose. 

I should mention that this isn't the physical pain of injury, no, it's the discomfort of a physical challenge that takes me to the edge of what the body wishes to perform and holding that point for just a bit longer than Id like to. It's here that I surrender, and it's also the exact moment that those fearful emotions sharpen and urge me to abandon the pose early. This is the place for me to explore, using breath as a vehicle of surrender, simply relaxing through the waves of anxiety as often as I'm able. 

sometimes it's only for a single breath. 

most often 

more. 

allowing breath and body dictate how long I hold the pose 

at whatever point of my surrender,

and then ease back into a more relaxing posture.

just a moment of discomfort...

utkatasana.

and then on to the rest of my practice. 

~

Peace, Eric 

To read more from Headless Now, please visit: As Well As My Surrender

Also, please visit to buy: Beginning Yoga

Thank you. 




No comments: