Monday, May 6, 2024

Vulnerable




Vulnerable: 

there's only a few ducks at my neighborhood pond, a small population that seem quite fragile to me and giving me concern for their well-being. Once they were thriving in numbers here, staying through all seasons and always the arrival of the newly hatched in spring. Yet now there's less than a dozen and I often find them retreated further up the streams into woods, spending less time in the pond which is now dominated by geese. I certainly don't mind geese, they're beautiful birds, strong in flight and water, but ducks always seem so vulnerable in comparison. 

ducks stir my deepest compassion and concern.

they always have.

Canadian geese are quiet aggressive this time of year, rightly fully so as they protect their young, within even the smallest infraction of distance giving cause for alarm and sometimes a confrontation. My entire walks are often rerouted to avoid these issues, it's just easier than upsetting an entire gaggle, especially when they're happily feeding along the pond's shore and it's only a few extra steps along my way. I have no issue ceding space to a protective mother and her mate. 

but ducks seem to lack this aggression, although I'm sure they're quite protective of their brood as well. To me, ducks are a shyer species, seeking a more peaceful area to raise they're young and avoiding any confrontations. It's that vulnerability that stirs my concern, seeing just a few further up a stream, surrounded by any number of predators from air and land, as well as water. 

but of course ducks are perfectly suited to their environment, being able to take care of themselves and not really needing my concern. Yes, they're vulnerable, often exposed to great risk, and yet mostly they thrive in these conditions, having developed a predation-avoidance system of sleeping with one eye open, half of their brain hemisphere being watchful for any danger, while  the other remains completely at rest. And I think this what ducks show me, a spirituality of being watchful and at ease, mindful of every aspect of life but without adding any added tension. 

ducks teach me that it's okay to me vulnerable.

more so, 

that I am perfectly at home within my own environment.

watchful, 

and at ease. 

~

Peace, Eric 

To read more from Headless Now, please visit: Briefly, a Tree 

Also, please visit to buy: Walking in the Light

~

Peace, Eric 


No comments: