Sunday, May 12, 2024

Beavers Have Returned



Beavers have returned: 

yesterday morning, just as first light softly begins to shows my local pond, and finally I catch a clear sight of my neighborhood beaver, or one of them at least, as I don't actually know how many there might be. It was enough to see one, thrilling me to the core, as after a long wait, decades really, it seems beavers have returned. 

I've written of this before, how beavers had made their way here by following a local stream, establishing a home, only to be removed by neighbors concerned about damage to the trees surrounding the pond, and possible issues concerning their property. Valid concerns, although studies suggest, as well as actual practice, that we're capable of controlling many of these problems and that a small, but thriving beaver community only adds value to the ecosystem if their activity is kept in check. Yet still they removed and we haven't seen them here since. 

until now. 

beavers have returned.

we saw signs for many months, gnawed trees, branches and larger limbs gathered along streams, and my hope began to rise. There are larger lakes nearby that support a thriving beaver population, and my small pond is connected by many streams that would provide a viable path for their return. And that's just what they did, a few at least, taking their time, and eventually reestablishing themselves here. We saw the signs, the story they told of their travel and presence, and now my local pond is a home for beavers. Again, and maybe this time they'll be allowed to stay. 

and this seems to be likely, as we see wildlife management teams working with controlling the damage of a beavers work, protecting many trees with wired fences, and many neighbors are happy to have them here, trusting that nature and wildlife officials will keep a healthy balance. So far that's the plan, and I really hope that we continue to welcome their presence. 

as they're magical to behold. 

last winter a caught just the briefest glimpse of one swimming near the edge of the pond. I wasn't even sure that it was a beaver as they're presence here wasn't yet confirmed and winter mornings are still quite dark on my earliest walks. But I was pretty sure it was and neighbors began to share their own sightings and encounters. So my morning walks throughout the winter kept me watchful for beavers, as well as my always hopeful search for owls, foxes, and the always elusive coyote. 

and yesterday morning, 

finally, 

another beaver sighting. 

this time on land, a small island, and I just missed being able to capture it on film. But I will, as each morning holds a but more sunlight, and I'm vigilant, approaching each walk as a possibility for magic to appear. And of course it always does, even without the sighting a beaver, there's a mystery to the morning, always a hint of possibilities. That's what draws me from my bed so early, an excitement that this day will reveal just a bit more of life's mystery's. 

and it does...

sometimes, 

even in the form of a beaver.

Peace, Eric 

To read more from Headless Now, please visit: It's Ours 

Also, please visit to buy: Eager 

Thank you. 


No comments: